The Qur’an/Koran of Islam is a collage of myths, plagiarisms, contradictions, and ignorance of sciences and mathematics. For example. in the myth of the ant, which is an entire “book” (Sura An-Naml) of the Qur’an/Koran we read:
At length, when they came to a valley of ants, one of the ants said: “O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you (under foot) without knowing it.”
So he smiled, amused at her speech; and he said: “O my Lord! so order me that I may be grateful for Your favours, which You have bestowed on me and on my parents, and that I may work the righteousness that will please You: And admit me, by Your Grace to the ranks of Your Righteous Servants.”
— Sura An-Naml [The Ant] (27):18-19
(Cf. Hölldobler, Bert, and Wilson, Edward O. (1990), The Ants (Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, pp. 256-257 for discussion.) There are numerous problems here, one from a zealous Christian who refutes the argument (and even claims that Jesus spoke Greek–for which there is no historical proof; see: http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/Menj/ants.htm) and a rejoinder by an equally zealous Muslim Shibli Zaman (who argues: “The critic fallaciously relied upon an English translation of the Qur’an which no Muslim relies upon. Unlike the Christians’ New Testament which has no Syriac or Aramaic original, nor even a Greek codex from the 1st century CE, the Qur’an has always been in Arabic as it is today and this is the standard throughout the world. Critics and supporters alike agree that the Qur’an was always Arabic (ignoring any neophytes who baselessly claim it was Syriac). Even Orientalists with half a brain quote from the Arabic text.” at http://www.bismikaallahuma.org/archives/2005/talking-ants-in-the-quran/). The problem, basically, is with the Muslim apologists, for (1) there are no existing Qur’ans before the eighth century (200 AH [Muslim calendar] or 800 CE [western “Gregorian” calendar] written in Kufic whereas any earlier Qur’an would have been written in Ma’il or Mashq script style (although one ancient copy of the Koran written in the Ma’il style of script, that is housed in the British Museum in London (Lings, M., & Safadi, Y.H., The Qur’an, (A catalogue of an exhibition of Qur’an manuscripts at the British Library, 3 April-15 August 1976), British Library, World of Islam Pub. Co., al-Maqrizi, Ahmad b. ‘Ali, Kitab al-mawa’iz wa’l-i’tibar, Cairo, 13261976:17,20; Gilchrist, John (1989), Jam’ Al-Qur’an, Jesus to the Muslims, pp. 16,144). But scholar Martin Lings, who was not only a practicing Muslim, but also a former curator for the manuscripts of the British Museum, dates this manuscript at 790 AD, making it the earliest; even the most devout Muslim notes there are not even fragments of the Qur’an until 100 years following the death of Muhammad, see: Grohmann, A.: Die Entstehung des Koran und die altesten Koran- Handschriften’, in: Bustan, 1961, pp. 33-8, cf. http://www.sunnipath.com/library/Books/B0040P0012.aspx), and “Muhammad” died in the seventh–passing down the words of the “angel Gabri-el” [a god in both Judaism and Bedouin theology, housed as a Son of God in both religions and their edifices (e.g. the Kaaba in Mecca) while minor agricultural gods (e.g. Yahweh and Allah) were jockeying for a more senior position).
Other myths or fairy tales in the Qur’an/Koran include: (1) a rock that gave birth to a camel (7:73-78), (2) a camel enters into and disappears within a rock (11:65); (3) and, وَإِلَىٰ ثَمُودَ أَخَاهُمْ صَالِحاً قَالَ يَاقَوْمِ ٱعْبُدُواْ ٱللَّهَ مَا لَكُمْ مِّنْ إِلَـٰهٍ غَيْرُهُ قَدْ جَآءَتْكُمْ بَيِّنَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ هَـٰذِهِ نَاقَةُ ٱللَّهِ لَكُمْ آيَةً فَذَرُوهَا تَأْكُلْ فِيۤ أَرْضِ ٱللَّهِ وَلاَ تَمَسُّوهَا بِسُوۤءٍ فَيَأْخُذَكُمْ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ Translation: And, We sent, to Thamūd (Thamūda, read without declining [the noun], as denoting the tribe [of Thamūd] itself) their brother Sālih. He said, ‘O my people, worship God! You have no god other than Him. Truly there has come to you a clear proof, an illustration, from your Lord, of my truthfulness, this is the she-camel of God, a sign for you (lakum āyatan is a circumstantial qualifier operated by the import of the demonstrative noun [hādhihi, ‘this’]), they had asked him to make it come out of a [specific] rock which they had designated. So leave her to feed throughout God’s earth, and do not touch her with harm, either by hamstringing or beating her, lest you be seized by a painful chastisement (Cf. تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn مصنف و لم يتم تدقيقه بعد). Cp. The Majestic Qur’an: An English rendition of its Meanings [The Nawawi Foundation (Chicago) & The Ibn Khaldun Foundation (London), 2000], p. 159, fn. 342, p. 229, fn. 456, p. 595, fn. 807.
Then there is the story of a stone that “took off running”: Allah’s Apostle said, “(The Prophet) Moses was a shy person and used to cover his body completely because of his extensive shyness. One of the children of Israel hurt him by saying, ‘He covers his body in this way only because of some defect in his skin, either leprosy or scrotal hernia, or he has some other defect.’ Allah wished to clear Moses of what they said about him, so one day while Moses was in seclusion, he took off his clothes and put them on a stone and started taking a bath. When he had finished the bath, he moved towards his clothes so as to take them, but the stone took his clothes and fled; Moses picked up his stick and ran after the stone saying, ‘O stone! Give me my garment!’ Till he reached a group of Bani Israel who saw him naked then, and found him the best of what Allah had created, and Allah cleared him of what they had accused him of. The stone stopped there and Moses took and put his garment on and started hitting the stone with his stick. By Allah, the stone still has some traces of the hitting, three, four or five marks. This is what Allah refers to in his saying: “O you who believe! Be you not like those Who annoyed Moses, But Allah proved his innocence of that which they alleged, And he was honorable In Allah’s Sight.” (33.69)
Of course King Solomon, like Aladdin, had a magic carpet. Muslim tradition says that King Solomon use to travel on a carpet that was carried off by the wind. Renowned Sunni (Muslim) commentator Ibn Kathir said (regarding Sura 21:81): “He had a mat made of wood on which he would place all the equipment of his kingship; horses, camels, tents, and troops, then he would command the wind to carry it, and he would go underneath it and it would carry him aloft, shading him and protecting him from the heat until it reached whereever he wanted to go in the land. Then it would come down and deposit his equipment and entourage…” (Tafsir Ibn Kathir (Abridged) (Surat Al-Isra’, Verse 39 To the end of Surat Al-Mu’minun), by a group of scholars under the supervision of Shaykh Safiur Rahman Al-Mubarakpuri [Darussalam Publishers & Distributors, Riyadh, Houston, New York, London, Lahore; First Edition: July 2000], Volume 6, pp. 476-477).
Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 4, Bk. 55, No. 543, claims that Muhammad said “Allah created Adam, making him 60 cubits [90 feet] tall.” There is a problem here: No animal body can function at this height. The highest that the heart could pump blood from the feet would be less than 32 feet (9.81 metres); any greater height than this would cause a vacuum lock to develop in the circulation system. In fact the height at which the circulation system breaks down would be considerably less than this due to friction between the blood and the walls of the blood vessels. (Cf. http://www.earthlife.net/mammals/blood.html and http://mb-soft.com/public/dinosaur.html;
In an average lifetime the heart is required to beat over 2.5 billion times–38 million times a day, doing the same amount of work as a machine lifting a one-ton weight to a height of 41 feet each day (not 90 feet). The heart accomplishes this amazing feat without interruption. See: http://www.essortment.com/all/howhumanheart_roua.htm).
Contradictions in the Qur’an/Koran are numerous. For example, on the “creation” of “man” the Qur’an/Koran states:
Islamists/Muslims claim that “coming to Islam” is voluntary. Is it?
- “Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah hears and knows all things,” (2:256).
- “And an announcement from Allah and His Messenger, to the people [assembled] on the day of the Great Pilgrimage,- that Allah and His Messenger dissolve [treaty] obligations with the Pagans [true Muslims do not respect or abide by any treaty with any nation or people for Allah rejects treaties with those who are not Muslims]. If then, you repent, it were best for you; but if you turn away, know you that you cannot frustrate Allah. And proclaim a grievous penalty to those who reject Faith,” (9:3).
- “But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever you find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful,” (9:5).
- Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued,” (9:29).
Muhammad claimed/is claimed to be the first Muslim. But that is not exactly what the Qur’an/Koran says:
- “And I [Muhammad] am commanded to be the first of those who bow to Allah in Islam,” (39:12).
- “When Moses came to the place appointed by Us, and his Lord addressed him, He said: “O my Lord! show [Yourself] to me, that I may look upon You.” Allah said: “By no means can You see Me [direct: face-to-face]; But look upon the mount; if it abide in its place, then You shall see Me.” When his Lord manifested His glory on the Mount, He made it as dust. And Moses fell down in a swoon. When he recovered his senses he said: “Glory be to Thee! to Thee I turn in repentance, and I am the first to believe.” (7:143).
- “And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons, and so did Jacob; “Oh my sons! Allah hath chosen the Faith for you; then die not except in the Faith of Islam,” (2:132).
It is claimed, also, that Allah does not forgive idolatry. But the Qur’an/Koran reads:
- Allah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgives anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed. (4:48, 116)
- The people of the Book ask thee to cause a book to descend to them from heaven: Indeed they asked Moses for an even greater (miracle), for they said: “Show us Allah in public,” but they were dazed for their presumption, with thunder and lightning. Yet they worshipped the calf even after clear signs had come to them; even so we forgave them; and gave Moses manifest proofs of authority.” (4:153).
Fervid Muslims avoid alcohol. But is it required in the Qur’an/Koran?
- Strong drink and games of chance. Say: In both is great sin. (2:219).
- O you who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan’s handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper. (5:90).
- And of the fruits of the date-palm, and grapes, whence you derive strong drink and (also) good nourishment. Lo! therein is indeed a portent for people who have sense. (16:67).
- [Here is] a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)? (47:15).
- Truly the Righteous will be in Bliss: On Thrones (of Dignity) will they command a sight (of all things): You will recognize in their faces the beaming brightness of Bliss. Their thirst will be slaked with Pure Wine sealed. (83:22-25).
According to the Qur’an/Koran, “Moses” defied “Pharoah” (the name of the house–not the occupant leader) and the “Israelites” left Egypt. According to Jewish records, Pharoah and his army were drowned chasing Moses. But what does the Qur’an say of this?
- “We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Pharaoh and his hosts followed them in insolence and spite. At length, when overwhelmed with the flood, he said: “I believe that there is no god except Him Whom the Children of Israel believe in: I am of those who submit [to Allah in Islam]. [It was said to him]: “Ah now!- But a little while before, wast thou in rebellion!- and thou didst mischief (and violence)! This day shall We save thee in the body, that thou mayest be a sign to those who come after thee! but verily, many among mankind are heedless of Our Signs!” (10:90-92).
- Moses said, “You know well that these things have been sent down by none but the Lord of the heavens and the earth as eye-opening evidence: and I consider thee indeed, O Pharaoh, to be one doomed to destruction!” So he resolved to remove them from the face of the earth: but We did drown him and all who were with him,” (17:102-103).
Historical errors and errors in scientific fact are extensive and ludicrous. For example:
- According to the Quran (Surah 7:120-125) Pharaoh used crucifixion in dealing with the sorcerers – a practice which historical evidence gives no precedent to before the Babylonian Empire. This is once again a problem of historical compression.
- According to the Quran (Surah 18:89-98) Alexander the Great was a devout Muslim and lived to a ripe old age. Historical records however show that Alexander the Great died young at 33 years of age (b. 356 B.C. – d. 323 B.C.), and believed he was divine, forcing others to recognize him as such. In India on the Hyphasis River (now Beas) Alexander erected twelve altars to twelve Olympian gods. And Alexander the Great was a homosexual who called his male lover “a god.”
- According to the Qur’an/Koran (Surah 19:28, 3:33-36), Mary, the mother of Jesus, was the daughter of Imran or Amram, the father of Moses and Aaron. Mary is also said to be the sister of Moses and Aaron. Clearly Muhammad confused Mary with Miriam. A second interesting point about Mary is the story of the date palm speaking and offering its fruit to her (Surah 19:23). This legend is easily traced to similar legends found in the apocryphal “Protoevangelium of James” the “Pseudo-Matthew” and “the Gospel of the Nativity of Mary” all of which have been dated to the fourth to sixth centuries, and were again believed by the sects found only in Arabia.
According to fundamentalist/orthodox Muslims, Allah is an omniscient (he knows all), omnipotent (he can do everything), or omnipresent (he is everywhere) deity. The Qur’an/Koran offers contradictory messages:
- Praise be to Allah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth, Who appointed the angels messengers having wings two, three and four. He multiplied in creation what He will. Lo! Allah is Able to do all things. (35:1).
- Yet they … impute falsely, without knowledge, sons and daughters unto Him. … The Originator of the heavens and the earth! How can He have a child? (6:100-101).
There is a problem with money and “gifts to Allah and Muhammad“. Are either of these males (Allah is claimed to be a male) above the need or love of money? The Qur’an/Koran responds to the question if fees are required of the faithful.
- Qur’an/Koran 2:195: Spend your wealth for the cause of Allah.
- Qur’an/Koran 8:41: Whatever you take as spoils of war, lo! a fifth thereof is for Allah, and for the messenger and for the kinsman [for Muhammad and his family and relatives].
- Qur’an/Koran 9:103: Take alms of their wealth, wherewith You may purify them and mayst make them grow, and pray for them.
- Qur’an/Koran 9:111: Lo! Allah has bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs.
- Qur’an/Koran 47:38: Lo! you are those who are called to spend in the way of Allah, yet among you there are some who hoard. And as for him who hoards, he hoards only from his soul. And Allah is the Rich, and you are the poor. And if you turn away, He will exchange you for some other people, and they will not be like you.
- Qur’an/Koran 57:10: And what ails you that you do not spend in the way of Allah when unto Allah belongs the inheritance of the heavens and the earth?
But then there are, as always, contradictions within the Qur’an/Koran, as seen here:
- Qur’an/Koran 12:104: You shall not ask of them a fee for it.
- Qur’an/Koran 36:21: Follow those who ask of you no fee.
- Qur’an/Koran 42:23: I ask of you no fee.
- Qur’an/Koran 52:40: Or may you [Muhammad] ask for a fee from them so that they are plunged in debt?
- Qur’an/Koran 68:46: Or do you [Muhammad] ask a fee from them so that they are heavily taxed?
Apologists for Islam argue there is tolerance for other religions including for nonbelievers (atheists). Both sides actually exist in the Qur’an/Koran:
- Qur’an/Koran 2:256: There is no compulsion in religion.
- Qur’an/Koran 18:29: Whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve.
- Qur’an/Koran 109:6: Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.
But opposed to this liberality there are these verses, which shows the “love of Allah and His Mercy“:
- Qur’an/Koran 3:32: Allah does not love disbelievers.
- Qur’an/Koran 30:45: He does not love those who disbelieve.
- Qur’an/Koran 18:29: Lo! We have prepared for disbelievers Fire. Its tent encloses them. If they ask for showers, they will be showered with water that is like molten lead that burns their faces. Calamitous is their drink and ill their resting-place!
- Qur’an/Koran 3:85: Whosoever seeks as religion other than the Surrender/Submission [Islam to Allah] it will not be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.
- Qur’an/Koran 3:28: Let not the believers take disbelievers for their friends in preference to believers.
- Qur’an/Koran 4:389: They long that you should disbelieve even as they disbelieve … choose not [your] friends from them.
- Qur’an/Koran 4:144: Choose not disbelievers for [your[ friends in place of believers. Would you give Allah a clear warrant against you?
- Qur’an/Koran 5:51: Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. … He among you who taketh them for friends is [one] of them.
- Qur’an/Koran 60:1: Do you give them friendship when they disbelieve?
- Qur’an/Koran 4:101: The disbelievers are an open enemy to you.
- Qur’an/Koran 9:12-14: If they … assail your religion, then fight the heads of disbelief. … Fight them! Allah will chastise them at your hands, and He will lay them low and give you victory over them.
- Qur’an/Koran 9:29: Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah.
- Qur’an/Koran 9:123; Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you.
- Qur’an/Koran 4:89: They long that you should disbelieve even as they disbelieve … take them and kill them wherever ye find them. [Cp. Martin Luther’s On the Peasants (1525)].
- Qur’an/Koran 9:5: Slay the idolaters [anyone who does not submit to Islam] wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush.
Allah, according to the Qur’an/Koran, is a cruel, merciless, evil, and vengeful god without pity and knowing neither justice nor mercy:
- Qur’an/Koran 2:17: Allah takes away their light and casts them in darkness, where they cannot see.
- Qur’an/Koran 4:56: Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment.
- Qur’an/Koran 4:168-9: Lo! those who disbelieve and deal wrong, Allah will never forgive them, neither will He guide them unto a road, Except the road of hell, wherein they will abide for ever. And that is ever easy for Allah.
- Qur’an/Koran 5:33: The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom.
- Qur’an/Koran 7:50: And the dwellers of the Fire cry out unto the dwellers of the Garden: Pour on us some water or some wherewith Allah hath provided you. They say: Lo! Allah hath forbidden both to disbelievers [in His guidance].
There are more contradictions, errors, lies, and historical inaccuracies in the Qur’an/Koran than time permits, but these contradictions, errors, lies, and historical inaccuracies go unchallenged while the wrath of Islam continues to murder, maim, steal and defame people who attempt to treat it with magnanimity in the name of religious freedom. But Islam is not a religion–it is a martial and militant lifestyle that has no concern for human or civil rights–only for its advance against free will.